Thursday 10 September 2009

A Shocking BTT

This weeks Booking Through Thursday question is:

What’s the most informative book you’ve read recently?


'The Shock Doctrine', by Naomi Klein, is the most informative book I've read recently. It plots the rise of so called 'disaster capitalism', and argues that the free market economics of the 'Chicago School' have only succeeded in countries suffering in the aftermath of a political or natural disaster, or shock.

This is a fascinating, if terrifying, book that made me question many things I had previously taken for granted. Most impressively though, Klein (writing in 2006) seems to spot the impending global economic crisis. She claims that 9/11, and the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq, reinvigorated a US economy on the brink of a slump. Even if you're generally skeptical about conspiracy theories you should read this book, everyone should!

4 comments:

  1. The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins had a similar effect on me. I usually read fiction but it's good to dip your toe into this kind of thing, it works the brain in a different way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm exactly the same, I normally read fiction and in some ways I think it can be more informative. Good fiction informs us about the way human beings might react in a particular situation, it's often more revealing than the facts and figures. However, I think Klein's non-fiction is energetic enough to acheive both.

    ReplyDelete

Followers